Brain Health Tips
Boost your brain health with this hearty protein and healthy-fat packed dish. The brain uses healthy fats for many of its processes. The ingredients below are rich in monounsaturated fats, which benefit brain function and promote healthy blood flow. A healthy flow of blood means a highly functioning brain!
Turkey Quinoa Bowl Ingredients:
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey (Or substitute Cooked Green Lentils)
- 2 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tsp Herbal Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups Zucchini, chopped
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 1 Can Diced Green Chiles
- 1/2 Cup Pine Nuts, toasted
- 1 Avocado, diced
Turkey Quinoa Bowl Directions:
In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Then add turkey, onion and garlic and sauté until turkey is brown and onion is soft. Add red pepper flakes, herbal seasoning, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, black beans, zucchini, pine nuts, quinoa and chicken broth; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked. Serve topped with avocado.
Makes 4 Servings.
Proven and Effective Ways to Address Your Own Brain Health
Based on the research of Dr. Dale Bredenson and Dr. Tom O’Bryan who are having success increasing brain health and cognitive function.
- Increase Activity or Exercise
- Learn a new dance or movement to create new brain connections and regenerate a healthier brain
- Address diet by eliminating “The Big Three”
- Wheat, Dairy and Sugar, while increasing veggies, fruits, and non-farm raised fish
- Adopting intermittent fasting
- Reducing stress through meditation (mind-set)
To learn more visit www.theDr.com/bredesen
Understanding Intermittent Fasting
We have a genetic ‘backup’ system to burn excess fat, and now we know how to activate it. We are able to activate these genes using intermittent fasting. This is where you make sure to eat with a specific window of time The result is testing was a 20% increase in life span.
In a 2016 study, where the participants ate within a 12-hour range and then fasted for the remaining 12 hours, they were able to burn stored fat cells, which then released stored toxins that were easily eliminated.
The liver is your primary organ for detoxification. We are going to help our livers during the challenge by fasting while we are sleeping. For example from 8pm to 8am.
More details can be found in Dr. Tom O’Bryan’s new book You Can Fix Your Brain.
About the Author: Tiffany Hinton is a Super Mom, Business Owner, Best Selling Author, Speaker, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach and Gluten-Free lifestyle expert. Connect with Tiffany on social media by following @gfmomcertifed. As seen in Natural Awakenings Magazine Chicago.