Holiday Allergen-friendly Potato Latkes and Celebrating with Plant-based Menus by Annette Licitra of Passionette Palate
Grazing tables and boards are a perfect opportunity to feature fresh, seasonal foods in a fun manner that creates conversation. They are a time-saving food option that can feed all of your guests in a creative way while utilizing a variety of plant-based foods, and display homemade goodies in an eye-appealing and accessible manner all-celebration long.
It’s pretty easy to make anything plant-based as it’s really just putting some fruits and vegetables together. Sometimes, it seems daunting, un-appealing, and downright boring, but it doesn’t have to be! In order to make it fun and delicious for celebrations and gatherings, get imaginative with these edible plants by creating grazing tables and boards. They are an adventurous and beautiful way to share your heart. They’re appealing to the senses, respectful to everyone’s palate, and a convenient way to give each person an opportunity to enjoy the meal.
Food is a large part of socialization and culture, and fills the atmosphere with warmth, joy, memories, and connection. An absolute staple at celebrations and gatherings, food pulls events together, helping attendees make new friends, cultivating old relationships, and honoring the meaning of the theme or celebration.
The beauty of plant-based grazing tables and boards is the vibrant colors, the simplicity of real foods, and appreciating the exceptional flavors of nature. Since plant-based foods are kosher in their natural, unprocessed state, try putting together a nourishing spread with all types of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, then add dips and other foods for your Hanukkah celebrations. It’s a healthy way to bring family and friends together, and enjoy each other’s company for long periods of time. These food spreads lend themselves to a whole day of celebration with their ease of set-up and clean-up without having to do much in between other than enjoy! If you want to get fancy and hire a culinary artist to share their passion for your next celebration, it can be an explosion of edible art for you and your guests to savor.
Include these yummy, holiday potato latkes in your upcoming holiday grazing tables. Not only is this dish commonly gluten-free and plant-based, but a perfect grab-and-go item for hungry family members.
Holiday Allergen-friendly Potato Latkes
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled
- 4 large russet or Idaho potatoes (about 31⁄2 pounds), unpeeled
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water)
- 4 Tbsp Namaste Foods gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Avocado oil for frying (have plenty on-hand)
- 1/4 Cup Applesauce and/or vegan coconut yogurt, for serving
- 1/4 Tsp Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare flax eggs by placing flaxseed meal and water into a medium bowl to set for 10 minutes.Using box grater or food processor fitted with grating disc, coarsely grate onion and place in colander; set in sink. Coarsely grate potatoes, add to colander, and set aside to drain.In a large mixing bowl, whisk flax eggs and gluten-free flour. Press potatoes and onion to extract as much liquid as possible, then add to the flour mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix altogether with a spatula or wooden spoon. In a heavy-bottomed, 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until hot, but not smoking. Drop 4, 1⁄4-cup portions of potato mixture into pan and flatten with spatula to form four 3-inchPancakes. Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, 4 to 5 minutes, then turn over and fry until golden-brown and crisp, an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.Using paper towels, carefully wipe out the pan. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, and fry 4 more pancakes. Repeat the process with remaining batter, wiping out the pan and adding 2 tablespoons of oil before each batch. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve pancakes hot with applesauce and/or vegan coconut yogurt.
Holistic Health Coach + Wellness Chef
Annette Licitra is an educator, speaker, author, and founder of Passionette Palate. As a certified holistic health coach + wellness chef, she focuses on digestive health, chronic infections, and increasing energy. She empowers professionals by transforming their lives through life-giving foods and holistic healing approaches so they feel amazing and operate at their peak performance level.